It is few places in Thailand that we had hesitated to visit for so long time as Pattaya. Then you can wonder why bother at all when Thailand has so many lovely places you really like to go to. But it is all about location, 1,5 hours from the AirPort make Pattaya the perfect landning and departure point and a good alternative if you like to avoid Bangkok. So after many years of hesitation we are finaly here (and has been here a few times already). And we have stayed at several places during different times of the year; October 2013 we stayed some weeks in central Pattaya, close to Sukhumvit road, in March 2014 we stayed almost a months in the area of Jomtien / Dontang Beach, in September 2016 we stayed some weeks in the Northern area Na Klua and in January 2017 we stayed for one month in central Pattaya, in a small and quite alley right behandling 2nd Street.
So, how bad (or good) is it? It works fine to have as your landning and departure point, and also as a “break” of a longer trip, but I would never choose it as a destination of it’s own.
- Distance to AirPort
- It is a city including nice and breezy beach pedeastrian
- High competition and good pricing on accomondation, restaurants, bars, massages
- Shopping, cinema, bowling
- Public transport by songthaews, also called baht bus
- Jomtien and Dontang beach only 10 bahts away, if you need the touch of sand between your toes
- A huge diversity of restaurants, all tastes and all prices, AC or outside
- Many scandinavian places – can be nice if you want to watch some winter sports (skiing) on TV
- Cheap and good Street food
- Go-Go bars
- Walking Street ( and other red-light districts)
- Dirty beaches
- Polution in the sea due to tourist-boats releasing hundreds litres of diesel eevery day
But, we have stayed here for a month now and enjoyed it, Thanks to an excellent hotel, new, clean and cheap and in a quite Street with the best fried chicken restaurant we have tasted ever. And on top of that we could enjoy a Consert with Tommy Körberg……….